Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apple, pear and concord grape pie

Let's talk crust first. Normally I would make my own crust but due to the extremely hot summer, found it difficult to make good, consistent crusts. I did some research and found that Whole Foods has a frozen 465 (store) brand crust that is really yummy!

Pie:
With crust already done, I cut three large fresh apples and two pears and put into bottom crust.
I used the carton of concord grapes that I received from my csa which was about 4 bunches.
Then I followed the directions here for the grapes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/concord-grape-pie-i/
I am going to be honest and say that while the pie does taste great, separating the seeds was not as easy as the recipe said.
Additionally,I didn't put the pulp in fridge for two hours but instead put the pulp directly in the pie.

Top the fruit with sugar (1/4 cup should do) and cinnamon (to taste). (Alternatively, put all the fruit in a bowl first and you can toss and then put in crust.)

Take the second crust and put on top. Poke fork holes (about 6) in the too and press the fork around the edges of the pie to secure the edges.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment