Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Polish Stuffed Cabbage

Cabbage is something I like to eat but until this summer, have not cooked with before. I found another fantastic recipe that I highly recommend... (and slightly healthier than the braised cabbage with bacon). A friend had recommended making coleslaw and put on top with steak. I was craving meat but not in steak form so I searched and fount this Polish Stuffed Cabbage, recipe from about.com. Below I copied the recipe with some tips from my own experience (in italics).

Polish Stuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:

  • 1 whole head cabbage
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • Sour cream for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Remove core from cabbage. Place whole head in a large pot filled with boiling, salted water. Cover and cook 3 minutes, or until softened enough to pull off individual leaves. You will need about 18 leaves. (I boiled for three minutes and the inside leaves were still difficult...I recommend leaving in for a few more minutes.)

  3. When leaves are cool enough to handle, cut away the thick center stem from each leaf, without cutting all the way through. (About.com recommends using a paring knife. I didn't have one...cut the hard bits away as you see fit. You'll know when it seems like it will be easy to roll).

  4. Chop the remaining cabbage and place it in the bottom of a casserole dish.

  5. Saute the chopped onion in butter in a large frying pan until tender, and let it cool.

  6. Mix cooled onions with beef, pork, cooked rice, garlic, salt and black pepper until well combined. Don't over-mix or the meat will become tough. (I recommend adding another spice for more flavor...to your own taste. In my case, more salt and pepper brought out the flavor more. A little spice may have been nice too).

  7. Place about 1/2 cup of meat on each cabbage leaf (This is a lot if your leaves aren't large..they get smaller as you take them off. Stuff so you are able to roll them without difficulty).. Roll away from you to encase the meat. Flip the right side of the leaf to the middle, then flip the left side. You will have something that looks like an envelope.
  8. Place the cabbage rolls on top of the chopped cabbage in the casserole dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour beef stock over rolls, cover and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked.

  9. Serve with pan juices and a drizzle of sour cream, or mix the pan juices with sour cream and ladle it over the cabbage rolls.

  10. Freeze cabbage rolls before or after cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment